Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Attitude adjustment

This week in the Pathway program we studied 1 Nephi 15-22.  One thing that really stood out to me was Nephi's attitude while bound on the boat as they were journeying across the sea.  In 1 Nephi 18: 15-16 he says,
"And it came to pass that we were about to be swallowed up in the depths of the sea. And after we had been driven back upon the waters for the space of four days, my brethren began to see that the judgments of God were upon them, and that they must perish save that they should repent of their iniquities; wherefore, they came unto me, and loosed the bands which were upon my wrists, and behold they had swollen exceedingly; and also mine ankles were much swollen, and great was the soreness thereof.
 Nevertheless, I did look unto my God, and I did praise him all the day long; and I did not murmur against the Lord because of mine afflictions."
By this point Nephi had been beaten and bound by his brothers several times in the past already, and thinking of myself in that situation I would no doubt be remembering all the prior beatings added to the current one and feeling sorry for myself, feeling that my life was so very hard and full of so much injustice...and on and on.  But Nephi is able to feel gratitude even in the midst of his trials, which is so wonderfully amazing and humbling.  
In our Pathway group we talked about why the Lord allowed Nephi to remain so tightly bound in this instance when in the past He had loosed his bands.  We came to the conclusion that it was for Laman and Lemuel's benefit -not in their seeking for revenge -but in The Lord's attempts to teach them.  He had already tried sending an Angel to speak to them, shocking them, proving to them that he would provide a way for them to get the plates, get food in the wilderness, and build a boat to cross the sea, and none of those methods got through to them because they once again hardened their hearts.  
In 1 Nephi 18:11 it says, "
"And it came to pass that Laman and Lemuel did take me and bind me with cords, and they did treat me with much harshness; nevertheless, the Lord did suffer it that he might show forth his power, unto the fulfilling of his word which he had spoken concerning the wicked."
 and then in 1 Nephi 18:20 it says, "And there was nothing save it were the power of God, which threatened them with destruction, could soften their hearts..."  
 I am humbled and inspired by Nephi's example. I hope to find gratitude in  my trials and trust in the Lord and not complain!

No comments:

Post a Comment