Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Toy closet

There aren't very many projects of mine that turn out successful,
but one of the few accomplishments I am very pleased with is this toy closet.
It was just a plain white empty itty-bitty room when we moved in.
We used to tease Brian when he lived with us, that if he got grounded 
that'd be his new room, and he'd have to sleep sitting up. ;)
(the room is about the length of Brian's legs.)
I painted the walls, and changed the ceiling fixture so there's more light.
I bought the wood and L brackets for the shelves at home depot.
The measurements were so precise, that if the cut had been off by even an 1/8th of an inch
 the pieces wouldn't have fit at the corners, so I know the Lord blessed the old gentleman
who cut my wood with steady hands and a sharp eye.
The gentleman who cut my wood the next visit was not as precise,
but luckily those were just the thin support strips for under the shelves, 
and I was able to correct his measurements with my dinky little handsaw at home. 
I painted and installed the shelves myself.
I measured this IKEA shelf and it looked like it would fit perfectly against the side wall,
but I forgot to take into account the baseboards at the bottom -which took away about an inch of space.
So I had to modify the end of the shelf with a thinner piece of wood so it would fit, 
Again I got the wood from Home depot, and painted it to blend in with the rest of the shelf.  
Honestly I dream of these shelves being filled with books, but for now
this closet works great to store the kids toys since it is right in between the boys and Grayce's room. 
 Another project I am proud of is hauling 4 tons of playground sand from our driveway to 
our sandbox in back all by myself...but I'll post more about that later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment